Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Croatia, baby!

I've been to Lake Balaton, Heviz, Budapest again and now Dubrovnik since last I wrote. I soaked up a lot of thermal mineral water, steam, radioactive mud, and I expect I'm now healed from whatever might have ailed me. I've gotten used to getting a massage every day.

So now that I won't be massaged every day, it's a good thing I've got something pretty to look at. I'm so glad to be at the seaside. Even though I played in lots of water, I still knew I was in a landlocked country.

An interesting Hungarian human rights lawyer took a shine to me on the flight last night. He's way more interested than I am. Damn! Why is that always the way?

I passed on the candy, liquor, perfume and cosmetics at the Duty Free shops yesterday in the interest of picking up some books in English. They're quite a treat, really. And I've read "A Moveable Feast" twice now. Now I have some V.S. Naipaul and Umberto Eco to keep me company on the beach. Yay!

I probably should go out and see the sights right away, but honestly, I just want to lollygag. The beach is calling. . . .

1 comment:

divine m said...

SMH: I only got a little sunburned, and just on my legs--those babies haven't seen the sun in some time! And I think it's the nature of being a reader to feel inferior. Sometimes I wish I could just drop out and read for a few years--even then I couldn't catch up! People seem to produce books faster than I can take them in, and I still haven't read enough of the classics as I'd like, particularly the Russian greats; I feel like that's where I need to start. Finding the right translation can be a problem. But we can certainly share lists. . . .