Sunday, March 11, 2007

Transformation


Here's what I've been thinking about: the divine feminine. I've become totally possessed by Jungian psychology lately. I feel a little bit like I'm practicing on myself without a license, but I'm unearthing stuff that's good fodder for my writing.

Speaking of which, I'm realizing there's very little fodder available in terms of creative work when there's no time for idleness. Yes, there's truth, I think, in the notion that if you want something done, give it to a busy person; however, I've busied and done to my breaking point. I am a holy mess, and have been for some time. And yet, I'm mostly excellent at keeping up appearances. But the body is wise and literal, and there's no fooling this body of mine, lord knows. I've been sick--exhausted, really. And now my face is breaking out like it did when the beginning of the end was near with HB. My skin along my jaw line erupts in defiance and anger when the emotional stress gets too great. I'm there again. Damn it.

My body's suffering, and the work that matters most to me is suffering. The result: I feel like I'm compromising my soul. I've been here before. Nothing should cost that much, even if you love it.

So, I've decided that as soon as possible contractually speaking, I'm going to eliminate the work that takes the most time and energy with the smallest financial return. I'm choosing to honor myself instead of allow an institution to exploit me. I think this is a big step. I'm being purposefully vague here because I haven't made any official announcements.

But simply by making the decision, I feel like a weight has been lifted. And while it will be difficult to give up a part of myself, I know in my heart there must be death for there to be rebirth. I expect, eventually, the world will open up to me.

Just in time for spring. The snow is melting, and the sun has been shining for three days straight! Today I went for my first run of the season outside. It felt so good to take the cold wind in my face and feel the warmth of the sun on my body. Just in time for the Shamrock Shuffle in two weeks. . . .

I also kept the momentum flowing from Paris on Friday and ate well at the new sushi joint in town (tres bien!) then danced my ass off at a little club. My date and I were the oldest ones on the dance floor, ugh; but damn, do we know how to move!
This is me at 5 a.m. in Paris after a fabulous meal and hours and hours of dancing--as KT said, we danced until our feet couldn't take it anymore! Funny how revived I look, non?

I got to see and touch the daffodils in Paris and Dublin; now I can feel them trying to emerge here at home. It's already begun. . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

aww, cute picture! dancing rules.