Thursday, February 09, 2006

Rock Star, pt II --or-- Bono haters beware

People notice that I have become a rock star. Some respond by saying, "Hey, Rock Star!" Others step onto a elevator with me and pretend I do not exist, even though we know each other from past acquaintance. But since I am a Rock Star, I act as if don't give a shit whether people love me, hate me or feel indifferent toward me. I shake my hair a little, keep my sunglasses on, and look straight ahead. Of course, because I am a Rock Star, I care very much that people love me and show affection in all their unique ways. But the people who bad mouth me behind my back or to my friends and acquaintances? They are dead to me. But I almost have a little compassion because I know they're just jealous of the parts of me they can't touch. My new hairdo, for example.

* * *

The saddest part about yesterday is that I didn't get to see Bono sing "One" with Mary J. Blige live on the Grammy Awards. Despite my students' begging, I continued to teach class instead of break to go watch the show. I figured I can catch it somewhere on the innanets (Sid, 2005) today.

But the mere mention of that fine, little Irish Rock Star with the heart of gold inspires venom in academia that flies through the air. I shut it down tout suite. But as I've been exposed to more snooty McHipster snooty snoot punk snobs who are academics or wanna be academics, I am witnessing more and more hating of the BonoMan. And we all know how much hatred of any sort interests me.

But once again, the man is teaching me. The man who has been singing in my ear since 1985, providing me with insights into my life as it unfolds in his lyrics, giving me regular religious experiences at U2 concerts, showing me that anyone can change the world if she's willing to work at it and perhaps most importantly, it's cool to be hot, to crack open your breastbone and bleed all over the floor when the people who are trying so hard to be punk rock indifferent want to throw stones into your wide open chest . . . well, he now shows me that when you're living your truth and being present in your own largesse, some people won't like it. And all you have to do to say Fuck You to those bitches is keep on being who you are and doing what you have to do. They'll hate you no matter what, because they really just hate themselves.

Now, I know people take issue with Bono for all kinds of reasons. One example: for using his celebrity for charity--a move people view as self serving. But in this I ask, "Can his self be served anymore?" Can he and the band get any more exposure, sell out any more shows, win any more Grammies? They've always been ambitious, that's true, and low achievers and high achievers alike hate ambition, especially when it leads to great success for someone else. But aren't I proving my point here?

Jealous bitches go home.

But I guess people with power--personal, political, cultural, whatever--will always inspire envy and hatred in those who feel powerless. To those people, I say take back your power! And glean what you can from those people in the world who live and achieve more than their wildest dreams. God love the dreamers and the Big Thinkers. Oh, that's right. Why yes,yes He does.

No comments: